Saturday 17 May 2014

Great Times at Greenock parkrun

The Start of the first Greenock parkrun
Another week, another new parkrun, as Greenock became the latest member of the weekly, free, 5k event. Despite still feeling a bit stiff and sore, I couldn't resist the opportunity to participate in, what would be, my ninth different Scottish parkrun. The weather looked at bit ominous, as did the forecast, as we set off down the M8, to what has been described as the UK's western most parkrun. Although this would be a new race, I know part of the course quite well, from  the Renfrewshire AAA 5mile championship, which starts and finishes with a lap and a half of Battery Park before running along the esplanade and back. Everytime I've ran the race, conditions have been testing, with the wind and the rain ensuring that what, on paper, shoud be quite an easy event, is in fact always somewhat arduous. The Greenock parkrun, would not be conforming with tradition by being held in a park but would be along the afore mentioned esplanade.

Other weel kent faces from the, ever expanding, Scottish parkrun family and a small posse of Bellahouston Harriers, had also made their way to the birthplace of James Watt for the birth of Scotland's 14th parkrun.

After a warm up, I joined in with the other 109 runners, including some from both local clubs: Greenock Glenpark Harriers and Inverclyde AC, to be warmly welcomed by Race Director, Jo McGrattan. Jo thanked a number of individuals and companies who had made the event a reality and then revealed that the course was a little more complicated than the flat out-and-back route that I had hoped for.

Sub 21min Running
By 9:30am the weather had cleared and, in almost perfect conditions, we set set off from the Campbell Street end of the Esplanade, heading west towards the Boat Club. Garmin revealed that the 1st k had taken me 4:07 and for a second I held those runners, already well in front of me in awe, recognising that some of them would be completing the course in less than 18mins, before returning my concentration to the task in hand. With local runner, Alan O'Rourke, on my shoulder, I upped the pace to get a better turn around the Marshal, standing just before the Boat House. Now heading eastwards, with the sea to our left, both Alan and I received shouts of encouragement from some of the runners, making their way westwards, the sprinkling of supporters and Marshals. By the time we reached the large yellow beacon pole, Alan had seized the lead over me, I had hoped to catch him after we turned, just after the half way point, and started heading back towards the Boat Club, but it took all of my effort to stick close behind him. In fact my pace had slowed to 4:17min/k.  Back around the Marshal and it was a straight forward 1.5k to the Finish. I was working hard to maintain my pace but I could sense that Alan was tiring and with just over half a kilometer to go, I made my move and set off trying to catch the group of three runners ahead.  A final 3:58 min/k took me across the line just behind them, I was delighted with my race, placing 24th, in a time of 20:56, continuing the progress that I've been making, since returning to full training.  My wava was 74.04%, my highest ever for a parkrun :-)

After the usual post race, exchange of congratulations, I completed my warm down before heading to Lorna's Tearoom, where I advised the owner that his quiet premises had struck gold and was just about to receive an upturn in business, not just this week but every Saturday for the foreseeable future. That said, he might need to hire additional staff and extend his premises to cope with the numbers. Birthday girl Susan Clark might be able to help.......

Race Results
Upfront, Greenock Glenpark's Steven Campbell had entered the record books by placing first in a time of 16:53. with Central's Alan Hume, some 30seconds behind him and Inverclyde's Duncan MacFadyen a further 32seconds behind, in 17:55.

Inverclyde's Rachael Bushfield became the first woman winner, recording a time of 19:32 and placing 12th overall. Glenpark's Lorna Coyle earned silver with a time of 21:54 (30th overall) and her club mate, Lynne Rodgers placed 3rd woman (33rd overall) with a time of 22:13.

Congratulations to my fellow Bellahouston Harriers who all did well.



Many thanks to all concerned in putting on the race which, with its gorgeous views and PB potential, will undoubtedly be a welcome addition to the parkrun family.

No comments:

Post a Comment