Monday 26 March 2012

My Highest and Lowest Couple of Weeks

Pic by Sandy Ferguson
Cup Heroes – Highs and Lows

It’s been a strange and indeed unique couple of weeks with Killie beating Celtic at Hampden to win the League Cup and the ecstasy then turning to sadness as the news broke of Kilmarnock’s Liam Kelly’s father Jack having a fatal heart attack at the end of the game.

Having run 20 miles on the morning I was too tired to go to Hampden and I must admit that my last two League Cup Finals were not happy occasions as first Celtic and then Hibs demolished the ‘stars in stripes’.  

I managed the 20miles and stuck to my training schedule pace of 9min/miles though my left leg did most of the work, as first the pain on my right abductor muscle and then the sole of my foot took their toll.  With Monday an official rest day, it was Tuesday before I tested my legs again but with the pain in my foot I opted for the softer treadmill option to do my interval session. 

£100 Trainers
Although I had recently invested in my Asics 2360s, it appeared that my right foot, in particular, was not getting enough support.  A lunchtime trip to Run4It and after expert analysis of my running style, I left almost £100 lighter with a pair of shiny, new, Asics 2170s.  Well I would have if I hadn’t got my 10% discount, which reduced the price from £99 to a still hefty £89:10.

However I left my new trainers at work and on Wednesday I gave my Asics 2360s another chance as I ran my 9mile run.  The pain in my legs and foot was too sore to run on Thursday and, as Friday was a rest day, it was Saturday before I gave my new 2170s an outing.  Nothing too serious though, a 4mile easy run @9min/mile pace. 

100th Strathclyde parkrun
Of course, I combined this with the 100th Strathclyde parkrun and it was great to see some old friends there, including Tom and Marie McChord; Clare Purdie, loads  of Motherwell AC runners and young Amy Friel, who I provided some encouragement too in the latter part of her maiden parkrun.  She was delighted to finish in a time of 27:51.  Another delighted runner was Jammy Jo Smith who, wearing his Kilmarnock FC 125th anniversary vest, recorded a course PB of 20:50.  John and the rest of the team at Strathclyde had further cause for celebrations when the barcodes revealed that the event had attracted a new record of some 183 runners crossing the finishing line.


 Perfect Day at Rugby Park
In the afternoon it was my turn to wear my Kilmarnock FC 125th anniversary vest as I made my way to Rugby Park for the first time in years.  I wanted to show my gratitude to the team for their great performance at Hampden and the impeccable way that the club had conducted itself through a difficult week.  Motherwell FC were the opposition and their large travelling support showed tremendous dignity and were a credit to their Club and Scottish Football as a whole.  A decent game of football; gorgeous weather; a fine result and an emotional post game parade of the League Cup would have added up to a great day but add a Killie Pie and meeting some old friends and it adds up to an almost perfect day.

Worst Day in Pollok Park
A quiet night in on Saturday, albeit an hour shorter than normal, and I was ready for my long run in Sunday.  With the Dirty Duo kicking off at Ibrox at 1pm, I was keen to ensure that my training was completed as soon as possible.  Porridge and pre-run fuel taken and body and feet covered in Vaseline, I made my way to Pollok Park in what was probably the hottest morning of the year.  I was perspiring after my 1mile jog warm up!  A quick wipe down, I refuelled and set off for a mock Half Marathon with a target of 8min/miles.  Running around Bellahouston and Pollok Parks, I refuelled every 5k and was feeling strong but by the time I reached the 9mile mark my right leg and foot were hurting badly.  My pace dropped as the pain increased and by the time I reached 12miles the pain was excruciating.  Perhaps foolishly, I hobbled on until I completed my 13.1miles and then almost in tears I limped the 0.7miles back to my car. 

Woe

A cold bath, hot food and a sleep were to follow.  A search on the Internet now has me thinking that the pain in my foot isn’t due to the lack of support from my trainers but possibly a navicular sprain*. Whatever the problem is, the confidence gained by last week’s 20mile run had been replaced with a major question mark over the ability of my leg and foot to survive a marathon and there’s less than 4 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment